US 36 Master EcoPass Pilot Program and local employers team together to reduce drive alone trips

LOUISVILLE, Colo.—The US 36 corridor’s recent multi-modal transformation provides an array of travel options, and through a two-year US 36 Master EcoPass Pilot Program, local employers are benefiting from the new transit system being a viable commute option for their employees. The US 36 Master EcoPass Pilot Program was launched in 2015 by Commuting Solutions to provide free RTD EcoPasses to businesses located within walking distance of RTD’s McCaslin, Broomfield and Sheridan transit stations.

A mid-program analysis indicates that with 919 EcoPasses available at 20 businesses, an estimated 63,356 annual vehicle trips were reduced. Commuting Solutions Executive Director Audrey DeBarros points out, “The annual vehicle miles traveled reduced (VMTR) by this group is estimated to be 1,710,601.” DeBarros adds, “This reduction is equivalent to about 69 trips around the earth’s equator.”

The 2015 program results are encouraging and point to significant transportation impacts for the US 36 corridor. In the pre- and post-survey analysis, Commuting Solutions found that once commuters receive their EcoPass, they are reporting 19 percent fewer drive alone trips, compared to before they had the pass; and they are reporting a 111 percent increase in transit trips.

Employers such as Return Path, who participated in both 2015 and 2016, found the RTD EcoPass to be a valuable benefit for employees. Return Path Office Manager Angela Fitzgerald explains, “The EcoPass has proven to be an exceptional benefit for our employees, and provides a transportation option that fosters a lively and thriving environment. When employees are less worried about the time, cost and environmental impacts of getting to and from work, a happier and more productive atmosphere emerges. Our employees have taken full advantage of the EcoPass, and Return Path is excited to partner with Commuting Solutions to provide the pass in 2016 for our 230 employees.”

Eight of the organizations who participated in 2015, representing 360 employees, have continued with the program for 2016. These eight organizations are paying 25 percent of the cost, while grants provided to Commuting Solutions cover the remaining 75 percent. Twelve new organizations, representing 370 employees have joined the 2016 program. 2016 will be the final year of the subsidized US 36 Master EcoPass Pilot Program, as the grant funding this program was awarded to coincide with and introduce commuters to the benefits of the new and improved US 36 corridor.

About Commuting Solutions:
Commuting Solutions is dedicated to delivering innovative transportation options that connect commuters to their workplaces, businesses to their employees, and residents to their communities. Through advocacy for infrastructure and transportation improvements, partnerships and education, we create progressive, flexible transportation solutions. Be part of the progress along US 36, visit commutingsolutions.org.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay up to date with Commuting Solutions by subscribing to Up to Speed! Receive monthly updates about transportation in the Denver northwest metro region, invitation to events and much more!

Share this post with your friends

Commuting Solutions
WCA Lunch

May 29, 2024  | 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
At Elevations Credit Union in Broomfield