In 2014, the Northwest Area Mobility Study (NAMS) identified US 287 as a strong candidate for implementing BRT and found that US 287 had the highest projected ridership among the other corridors the study analyzed. As a result, the NAMS recommended that US 287 should be prioritized for implementation. Since the NAMS, the area around US 287 has experienced continued population and employment growth, further increasing travel demand. This BRT feasibility study will build off the NAMS study and build a multi-modal vision for the BRT implementation on US 287.
US 287 Bus Rapid Transit Feasibility Study
Boulder County, in coordination with stakeholders, regional partners and members of the public, is starting a multi-phased re-envisioning process of US 287.
This first phase of the study closely examines the feasibility of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) implementation on the US 287 corridor between the City of Longmont and the City of Broomfield, including Erie, Lafayette, Longmont and Broomfield, to address the growing congestion and travel demand in the area. The study will recommend the type and location of capital investments that will enhance transit travel times on US 287 through conducting an analysis that will assess traffic patterns, current transit operations and infrastructure, vehicle queue lengths, opportunities for intersections treatments and a Station Areas Toolkit.
The study will also identify potential funding sources and provide the framework for the next steps for the implementation of the BRT along US 287.
Key Action Items of Corridor Project
This corridor project is part of Boulder County’s Transportation Master Plan. Action items include:
- Prioritize moving people
- Advance Northwest Area Mobility corridors
- Explore funding options and innovative partnerships
The project could cost $56 million.
- Virtual Public Meeting #2 (April 14, 2021)
- Presentation Slides (April 14, 2021)
- Stakeholder Working Group #2 Presentation Slides (Feb. 18, 2021)
- Virtual Public Meeting #1 (Nov. 12, 2020)
- Presentation Slides (Nov. 12, 2020)
- Survey Results
Boulder County’s US Highway 287 Corridor Planning
- US 287 Stakeholder Working Group Meeting Slides (Sept. 23, 2020)
- Northwest Area Mobility Study Task 6 Final Report
- US 287 Bus Rapid Transit Feasibility Study – Public Meeting #1 Nov. 12, 2020