From bike share to autonomous vehicles, new innovations are constantly emerging in the world of transportation. While we may be a few years away from mass-produced self-driving cars, the northwest metro region encourage the integration of new technologies in transportation to help provide equitable, accessible and sustainable mobility for all.
- Via Mobility: Via Mobility is a full-spectrum mobility manager offering paratransit, travel training and mobility options information and referral services. Via also provides a wide range of community and group educational resources related to transportation for older adults, people with disabilities and others living with mobility limitations. Via Mobility operates in the RTD districts in the Denver metro region.
- Uber: Founded in 2009, Uber started a peer-to-peer ridesharing revolution. Uber is a ride-sharing service that allows people to order a ride using an app on their smartphone. Over the past years, it’s expanded to include a bicycle sharing platform, food delivery service and more. In 2018, Uber launched Uber POOL, a carpooling service that helped people reduce costs and carbon emissions by sharing a ride with someone going the same direction. Due to COVID-19 Uber POOL may be unavailable in certain regions.
- Lyft: Similar to Uber, Lyft is a peer-to-peer ride-sharing service that operates in over 300 cities in the United States. Lyft has also expanded beyond being an on-demand transportation company to include a bike share program and investments in developing the technology for autonomous vehicles.
- Colorado Carshare: Colorado Carshare is a local 501(c)(3) nonprofit car-sharing organization serving the Denver-Boulder metro area. They provide and promote alternatives to individual car ownership, thereby reducing the environmental and social impacts associated with motor vehicle use.
- Waze Carpool: Users can input their starting point and destination to be matched with other riders and drivers going the same way. It’s a commitment free carpool system that aims to reduce the number of single occupancy vehicles on the roads. The Denver metro region served as a test market for the application leading up to its national launch.
Transit & Navigation Apps
- RTD Trip Planner: The RTD Trip Planner app allows riders to plan their trips and provides real-time updates on their services. The RTD Trip Planner can be used on mobile devices and on web browsers.
- Waze: Waze is a unique navigation platform because it provides real-time updates on routes by crowd-sourcing updates from their users. Users can mark where there is construction, an accident or police to let other drivers know what is ahead.
- Transit: The Transit app helps with transit trip planning and is active in more than 175 cities worldwide. The Transit app helps with trip planning and provides real-time transit updates. The app also allows users to compare their travel options, such as transit, ridesharing and bikesharing so users can find their best trip.
- TripGo: The TripGo app combines local public transit (bus, train, ferry, tram, subway, metro, rail) with private and other transport such as taxi, cabs, ride share, shuttle services, car routes and car sharing, motorbike, cycle routes, bike sharing and walking. TripGo delivers results in real-time: Up-to-the minute information on predicted departure/arrival times, GPS locations and service alerts make for accurate trip planning – TripGo keeps you up to date and on time.
- Lime: Lime is a shared mobility application that allows users to rent scooters, bicycles and transit vehicles either by the hour or through a membership in cities where Lime is operational. Lime is currently available in Denver.
- JUMP: JUMP is a dockless scooter and electric bicycle sharing system operating in the United States, Germany and Portugal. The bikes cost $2 for the first half-hour to rent, then 7¢ per minute. They can be located using Uber app.
- Bcycle: Bcycle is bike share service that operates in Boulder and Denver. To rent a Boulder Bcycle, you can choose a pass that works for you, find any Bcycle station and then unlock a bike! You can also download the Bcycle app to rent and unlock a bicycle.